Variety is the flavor of our life and this quotation is justified adequately if we see this in the context of Indian food. India is a country of diverse culture, language, people, religion, and ethnicity. With such variety comes a great multiplicity of food. Indians are food enthusiasts. Every state has a specialty, which is extremely appetizing. There are many delicacies from this country, which cannot be missed. These include “Dosa” and “Idli” from Kerala, “Rasgullas” of West Bengal, “Poha” and “Shrikhand-puri” from Maharashtra, “Sarson da saag and Makki di roti” from Punjab and the Special “Rajasthani thaal” top the list. Indian vegetarian food is categorized by the spiciest cuisines to the sweetest cuisines. These characteristics change as per the different regions of India.
So, if you’re looking for menu options for your next event, then you must try Indian food and specifically the various Indian Thalis services offered by Indian Caterers. Here are few extremely delicious Indian Thalis that you should try serving to your guests.
1. Rajasthani Thali – From gatte ki sabzi to daal-baati churma to khichda to laal maas to rotis of bajra, makki, jowar or missi roti to lahsun ki chutney to panchmela dal to ker sanri (pickle) to boondi chaas… well, you get the point. The Rajasthani thali is the qunitessential Indian thali. You have stellar dishes like the mawa kachoris, juicy sweet rasgulle , malpuas, goond ka ladoo, moong dal and halwa.
2. Punjabi Thali – Punjabis food contains lot of ghee (clarified butter). That’s where the taste is coming from. Aloo Kulcha, Punjabi Chole, Paneer Tikka, Butter Chicken, Tandoori Chicken, Aloo Paratha, Dal Makhani, Kadi Chaval, Rajma Chaval, Makke Di Roti, Sarso Da Sagh. No matter if that takes all the space in your system, a glass of Sweet Lassi is a must. That’s how a Punjabi meal is done.
3. Maharashtrian Thali – Maharashtrians are known for their extremely spicy with different masalas – so it’s better you watch for what you ask. Chicken and fish are the common non-veg items you’ll find here. They have a great variety in Pickles. The thali will have a little amount of rice in one corner with daal in a bowl, and chappati on the other corner. You can pick what comes to your plate. There are a variety of bhajis like batatyachi bhaji, vaangyache bharit, aamati, matkichi bhaji, and many more. Then you have sabudaana vada, a refreshing glass of mattha, kanda poha, danyachi usal and the awesome pav bhaji, which are irresistible. Not forgetting the varan bhaath which is the king of the thali. With sweets like aamras and sheera, the thali is certinaly not lacking when it comes to desserts. Pooran poli is another famous sweet dish that you will find.
4. Goan Thali – Who knew that Goan Thali could be as awesome as Goa’s beaches? It’s a complete Indian meal at your fingertips. Goan food is synonymous with seafood, rice, coconut, fish and yes, kokum! You have Goan rice bhakri, Goan daali thoy, kele ambat, vegetable vindaloo, Goan kokum curry, and Goan banana halwa to top it up! Goan cuisine is also characterized by having some of the hottest curries, like Vindaloo. Due to its coastal location, seafood is also quite prevalent.
5. Bengali Thali – Bengali Thali is a perfect blend of sweet and spicy flavors. The world knows them for their love of fish. But that’s not just it, there is more to it. Bengali rice pudding called as Payesh, is consumed on special occasions, making it an important part of the Bengali thali. The other members on the Bengali Thali are, Shukto, 5 types of fries- Aloo bhaja, Potol bhaja, Kumro bhaja, Begun bhaja, Uuche bhaja, and torkari, Daal, chutney, and the very famous Fish. They are masters when it comes to preparing the ultimate melt-in-the-mouth sweet. Rosogolla, Mishti Doi, Kalo Jaam, Bengali Rabri, Gujias, Jibe Goja, Jolbhora Shondesh, the list goes on. If you have a sweet tooth, Bengal will not disappoint you.
6. Gujarati Thali – Gujarati thali is mostly vegetarian. Meals are served on a thali, a metal tray on which roti, rice, and small bowls are placed. A different kind of sweet flavor is prevalent in almost all the food items. Gujarati meal usually consists of rice, bread, rotli, and vegetable curry called ‘Shaak’. They also have a variety of snack items like,thepla, maal purah, puri, bhakhri, and puran-pohli, hari and khakhra, dal-dhokli, chevdoh, dhokla, undhiyu, khaman, bhusu, fafda, dhokli, papdi, and sev mamra. A Gujarati thali shall treat your palate to many a flavours in an instant.
7. Kerala Thali – Kerala’s food is generally hot and spicy. The food is traditionally eaten by hands and served in banana leaves. Abundant use of coconut oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and coconut milk are used in their daily cooking. There is no ‘rule’ to this thali and it contains liberal helpings of rice, sambhar, kootu (vegetable curry cooked with lentils), kosumri, paapadam, curd, and for dessert, there’s paayasam (a sweet made with rice and lentils) to complete the meal.
The Indian thali is a single platter containing the variety of vegetables, curries, rotis, chapatis, puris and sweet dishes in small proportions. This is authentic food at its best. A lot of Indian culture in terms of eating is reflected in the thali. A thali is mostly vegetarian and consists mainly of 5-6 different vegetable preparations and curries accompanied by 2 or sweeter dishes to balance the sweet and spicy elements. Flavors of India can truly be relished only in a thali. The plate basically consists of dishes that are an amalgamation of flavors that reflects India’s pride and honor of food.
Whether you are hosting a large party or a small family get together, you can hire some of the best Asian Caterers in Manchester to prepare delicious and healthy food of your choice. Outsourcing catering services are the best solution since professional caterers take care of every aspect of the food, right from planning the menu to meal preparation, presentation, cutlery, serving and even clearing up.